Biography / trivia
* Aishwarya was born on 1st Nov 1973 in Mangalore, India to Krishnaraj and Brindya. Her father was a marine biologist and her mother was a house wife. She has a brother Aditya Rai who is working in the merchant navy as an engineer.
* In Mumbai Aishwarya attended “Arya Vidya Mandir High School”, “Jai Hind College” and “DG Ruparel College”. She had great interest in zoology and wanted to become a doctor but later she changed her mind to pursue modeling.
* She is a well trained classical dancer. She started learning dance during her school days only.
* She entered modeling when she was just 14 years old appearing for Camlin Pencils ad. In 1991 she attended Ford Supermodel Contest and later appeared in Vogue Magazine three times. She came second in 1994 Miss India contest, behind Sushmita Sen and later in same year won Miss India World contest. After winning Miss world she dropped her education and took modeling as her career.
* She entered films with Tamil film Iruvar in 1997 alongside Mohanlal, which was directed by Mani Ratnam. She gained huge popularity after the film as it won many awards including two National Film Awards. Her bollywood debut was “Aur Pyaar Ho Gaya” in 1997 opposite Bobby Deol but her major hit was “Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam” in 1999 opposite Salman Khan and Ajay Devgan.
* She is involved in many social works, she works for “Eye Bank Association of India” and promotes eye donation in India. She worked to in Pulse Polio campaign to eradicate polio in India. She helped to raise money for 2004 tsunami victims. She is ambassador of “Smile Train”. Smile Train is an organization established in New York City and its main object is to provide free corrective surgery for children with cleft lip & palate. The organization is active in about 80 developing countries.
* She started to date Salman Khan in 1999 and due to some serious misunderstandings the couple broke up in 2001. She made some serious allegations against Salman Khan like verbal and physical abuse. Later she dated Vivek Oberai for a very short time.
* She married Abhishek Bachchan on 20th April 2007 according to Hindu rites. The couple have a baby born on 16th Nov 2011 and after a prolonged discussion it was named Aaradhya Bachchan in March 2012.
* In 1990s decade she worked for commercial hits like Jeans in 1998 alongside Prashanth and Nassar, Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam in 1999 opposite Salman Khan and Ajay Devgan, Taal in 1999 alongside Anil Kapoor and Akshaye Khanna.
* In 2000s decade she appeared in successful films like Kandukondain Kandukondain in 2000 alongside Mammootty, Ajith Kumar and Tabu, Josh in 2000 opposite Shahrukh Khan, Mohabbatein in 2000 alongside Amitabh Bachchan, Shahrukh Khan and Uday Chopra, Devdas in 2002 alongside Shahrukh Khan and Madhuri Dixit, Chokher Bali in 2003, Khakee in 2004 opposite Akshay Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan and Ajay Devgan, Bride and Prejudice in 2004 with Martin Henderson and Nadira Babbar, Raincoat in 2004 opposite Ajay Devgan, Dhoom 2 in 2006 alongside Hrithik Roshan, Abhishek Bachchan, Uday Chopra and Bipasha Basu, Guru in 2007 with Abhishek Bachchan, R. Madhavan and Vidya Balan, Jodhaa Akbar in 2008 opposite Hrithik Roshan and Sonu Sood, Sarkar Raj in 2008 alongside Amitabh Bachchan and Abhishek Bachchan, The Pink Panther 2 in 2009 opposite Steve Martin and Jean Reno.
* In 2010s decade she worked for major blockbusters like Raavan in 2010 alongside Abhishek Bachchan, Vikram and Govinda, Enthiran in 2010 opposite Rajinikanth and Danny Denzongpa, Guzaarish in 2010 alongside Hrithik Roshan and Shernaz Patel.
“I was not coming here looking for name, fame and glamour because, by the grace of God, I have already had my share of it on the world stage and on the catwalk. I’m saying this at the risk of sounding conceited. But this is not pomposity, I’m just being honest.”
“As for the guy I shall marry, compatibility is most important for me. Because that’s what eventually holds people together. Attributes like honesty, trust, camaraderie, love, sensitivity, sense of humor are all fine but nothing is more important than compatibility.”
“I am not comfortable about kissing or nudity. I’ve never said I’d never kiss, or whatever on screen. I’ve always maintained I’d cross that bridge when I come to it. Again, I’m accused of playing it safe. The truth is, I don’t know what tomorrow holds. So I can’t make a close ended principle about it.”
“People know me more because of my eyes. So I decided to donate my eyes. It’s not that just for doing something, I donated my eyes. I found that useful so I did it. I like to do social service from my heart. Whatever is possible I do, but I don’t speak of that.”
Filmography / all movies list
|1997||Iruvar||Mani Ratnam||Mohanlal,Prakash Raj,Tabu,Gouthami,Nasser|
|-||Aur Pyaar Ho Gaya||Rahul Rawail||Bobby Deol,Anupam Kher,Shammi Kapoor|
|1998||Jeans||S. Shankar||Prashanth,Raadhika,Nassar,Senthil,Lakshmi,Raju Sundaram|
|1999||Aa Ab Laut Chalen||Rishi Kapoor||Akshaye Khanna,Suman Ranganathan,Rajesh Khanna,Navin Nischol,Kader Khan|
|-||Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam||Sanjay Leela Bhansali||Ajay Devgan,Salman Khan,Vikram Gokhale|
|-||Taal||Subhash Ghai||Anil Kapoor,Akshaye Khanna,Amrish Puri,Alok Nath|
|2000||Kandukondain Kandukondain||Rajiv Menon||Mammootty,Tabu,Ajith Kumar,Abbas|
|-||Josh||Mansoor Khan||Shahrukh Khan,Sharad Kapoor,Chandrachur Singh,Priya Gill|
|-||Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai||Satish Kaushik||Anil Kapoor,Sonali Bendre,Mukesh Rishi,Puru Raajkumar|
|-||Dhaai Akshar Prem Ke||Raj Kanwar||Abhishek Bachchan,Anupam Kher,Amrish Puri|
|-||Mohabbatein||Aditya Chopra||Shahrukh Khan,Amitabh Bachchan,Uday Chopra,Jugal Hansraj,Shamita Shetty,Jimmy Shergill,Kim Sharma,Preeti Jhangiani|
|2002||Hum Kisi Se Kum Nahin||David Dhawan||Amitabh Bachchan,Ajay Devgan,Sanjay Dutt,Satish Kaushik|
|-||Devdas||Sanjay Leela Bhansali||Shahrukh Khan, Madhuri Dixit, Jackie Shroff,Manoj Joshi,Smita Jaykar|
|2003||Chokher Bali||Rituparno Ghosh||Raima Sen,Prasenjit Chatterjee,Lily Chakravarty|
|-||Dil Ka Rishta||Naresh Malhotra||Arjun Rampal,Rakhee,Ishaa Koppikar|
|-||Kuch Naa Kaho||Rohan Sippy||Abhishek Bachchan,Satish Shah,Arbaaz Khan,Suhasini Mulay|
|2004||Bride & Prejudice||Gurinder Chadha||Martin Henderson,Nadira Babbar,Anupam Kher,Namrata Shirodkar,Naveen Andrews,Sonali Kulkarni|
|-||Khakee||Rajkumar Santoshi||Amitabh Bachchan,Ajay Devgan,Akshay Kumar,|
|-||Kyun…! Ho Gaya Na||Samir Karnik||Amitabh Bachchan,Vivek Oberoi,|
|-||Raincoat||Rituparno Ghosh||Ajay Devgan,|
|2005||Shabd||Leena Yadav||Sanjay Dutt,Zayed Khan,|
|2006||Mistress of Spices||Paul Mayeda Berges||Dylan McDermott,Ayesha Dharker|
|-||Umrao Jaan||J.P. Dutta||Sunil Shetty,Shabana Azmi,Abhishek Bachchan|
|-||Dhoom 2||Sanjay Gadhvi||Hrithik Roshan,Abhishek Bachchan,Bipasha Basu,Rimi Sen,Uday Chopra|
|2007||Guru||Mani Ratnam||Abhishek Bachchan,Mithun Chakraborty,Vidya Balan,Madhavan,Roshan Seth,Manoj Joshi,Mallika Sherawat|
|-||Provoked||Jag Mundhra||Naveen Andrews ,Nandita Das,Miranda Richardson,Gurpreet Dhami|
|-||The Last Legion||Doug Lefler||Colin Firth,Ben Kingsley,Peter Mullan,Thomas Sangster,Kevin McKidd|
|2008||Jodhaa Akbar||Ashutosh Gowariker||Hrithik Roshan,Sonu Sood,Kulbhushan Kharbanda,Suhasini Mulay|
|-||Sarkar Raj||Ram Gopal Varma||Abhishek Bachchan,Amitabh Bachchan,Dilip Prabhavalkar,Victor Banerjee,Supriya Pathak,Tanisha Mukherjee|
|2009||The Pink Panther||Harald Zwart||Steve Martin,Jean Reno,John Cleese,Emily Mortimer,Andy García,Alfred Molina,Yuki Matsuzaki|
|2010||Raavan||Mani Ratnam||Abhishek Bachchan,Vikram|
|2010||Action Replay||Vipul Shah||Akshay Kumar,Neha Dhupia|
|2010||Guzaarish||Sanjay Leela Bhansali||Hrithik Roshan,Shernaz Patel|
Related Posts: Salman Khan and Aishwarya Rai Love story