Biography & trivia
* Reese Witherspoon was born on 22nd March 1976 in New Orleans, U.S.A to John Draper Witherspoon, a doctor and Mary Elizabeth, a professor at Vanderbilt University.
* Her birth name Laura Jeanne Reese Witherspoon.
* She started her modeling career when she was just 7 years old girl, her first assignment was for florist’s TV commercial. It was during this stage that she developed interest in acting and started to take acting lessons seriously.
* She attended Harding Academy, Harpeth Hall School and Stanford University. She studied English literature at Stanford but after one year she left her college to pursue acting.
* She made her film debut with ‘The Man in the Moon’ in 1991 alongside Jason London and Sam Waterston, her performance was much appreciated by film critics and earned nomination for ‘Young Artist Award Best Young Actress‘.
* In 1990 decade she worked for commercial successful films like American thriller ‘Fear’ in 1996 alongside Mark Wahlberg and William Petersen, Cruel Intentions in 1999 with Sarah Michelle Gellar and Ryan Phillippe, Election in 1999 opposite Matthew Broderick, Jessica Campbell and Chris Klein.
* In 2000 decade she appeared in several hits like psychological thriller American Psycho in 2000 Christian Bale, Jared Leto and Willem Dafoe, Legally Blonde in 2001 with Luke Wilson, Matthew Davis and Selma Blair, Sweet Home Alabama in 2002 Josh Lucas, Candice Bergen and Patrick Dempsey, Legally Blonde 2 in 2003 opposite Sally Field, Jennifer Coolidge and Regina King, Walk the Line in 2005 with Joaquin Phoenix for which she earned “Academy Award for Best Actress”, Just like Heaven in 2005 opposite Mark Ruffalo, Jon Heder and Donal Logue, Penelope in 2006, Four Christmases in 2008 opposite Vince Vaughn.
* In 2010 decade she appeared in blockbusters like romantic drama Water for Elephants in 2011 alongside Robert Pattinson and Christoph Waltz, This Means War in 2012alongside Chris Pine, Til Schweiger and Tom Hardy.
* Apart from films she involves in many social issues, she is a member of Children’s Defense Fund and supports Save the Children organization.
* Teen People magazine listed her in its “Most powerful young Hollywood actors” list in 2005, also appeared in “Time 100” in 2006, appeared in FHM’s “100 Sexiest Women In The World” list, appeared in Forbes’ “Celebrity 100” list in 2006, appeared in People magazine’s “100 Most Beautiful” list several times.
* She started dating actor ‘Ryan Phillippe’ in 1997 whom she met at her birthday party, they were engaged in Dec 1998 & married on 5th June 1999 in South Carolina. The couple have two children Ava Elizabeth Phillippe & Deacon Reese Phillippe. The couple broke up after seven years in 2006.
* After divorcing Ryan Phillippe Witherspoon started to date her co-star Jake Gyllenhaal in 2007 but reported to have split in 2009. In 2010 she had a serious relationship with Jim Toth, a talent agent, the couple were engaged in Dec 2010 and married on 26th March 2011, they have a son Tennessee James Toth, born on 27th Sep 2012.
“I want to not perpetuate any more of this kind of garbage that’s out there in the media about women falling in love blindly. No one’s life is perfect, and I’m sick of whatever tabloid stuff or this or that story tries to portray. My life is just as realistic as everybody else’s. Whoever thinks someone has a perfect life, I’m so eager to dispel that.”
“Working in Hollywood is more of a diversion for me now. I still love acting, but my full-time job is being a mother. I like being home when they wake up, make their breakfast, take them to school, help them with their homework, and enjoying dinner, and putting them to bed. That’s my real job!
“As a woman and a mother I care deeply about the well being of other women and children throughout the world and through the years, I have always looked for opportunities to make a difference.”
“I was the classic nerd who was reading books all the time and writing letters and notes. I got good grades which is the reason I got into Stanford, even though a lot of people assumed that I got in because I had some small success as an actress. That had nothing to do with it. I worked for it.”
“I had someone correct my grammar once on a blind date, and within the first 10 minutes the date was over. You just don’t correct somebody’s grammar. That’s just not okay. I’m from Tennessee, so I probably say everything wrong. I might have said ain’t, or something like that.”
Filmography / all movies list
|1||1991||The Man in the Moon||Robert Mulligan||Jason London,Sam Waterston|
|2||1991||Wildflower||Diane Keaton||Beau Bridges,Susan Blakely|
|3||1992||Desperate Choices||Andy Tennant||Joanna Kerns,Bruce Davison|
|4||1993||A Far Off Place||Mikael Salomon||Ethan Randall,Jack Thompson|
|5||1993||Jack the Bear||Marshall Herskovitz||Danny DeVito,Robert J. Steinmiller Jr.|
|6||1993||Return to Lonesome Dove||John Wilder||Jon Voight,Barbara Hershey|
|7||1994||S.F.W.||Jefery Levy||Stephen Dorff,Jake Busey|
|8||1996||Freeway||Matthew Bright||Kiefer Sutherland,Wolfgang Bodison|
|9||1996||Fear||James Foley||Mark Wahlberg,William Petersen|
|10||1998||Twilight||Robert Benton||Paul Newman,Susan Sarandon|
|11||1998||Overnight Delivery||Jason Bloom||Paul Rudd,Christine Taylor|
|12||1998||Pleasantville||Gary Ross||Tobey Maguire,Jeff Daniels|
|13||1999||Cruel Intentions||Roger Kumble||Sarah Michelle Gellar,Ryan Phillipe|
|14||1999||Election||Alexander Payne||Matthew Broderick,Chris Klein|
|15||1999||Best Laid Plans||Mike Barker||Alessandro Nivola,Josh Brolin|
|16||2000||Little Nicky||Steven Brill||Adam Sandler,Patricia Arquette|
|17||2000||American Psycho||Mary Harron||Christian Bale,Willem Dafoe|
|18||2001||Legally Blonde||Robert Luketic||Luke Wilson,Selma Blair|
|19||2002||The Importanceof Being Earnest||Oliver Parker||Rupert Everett,Colin Firth|
|20||2002||Sweet Home Alabama||Andy Tennant||Josh Lucas,Patrick Dempsey|
|21||2003||Legally Blonde 2||C H Wurmfeld||Sally Field,Regina King|
|22||2004||Vanity Fair||Mira Nair||Jonathan Rhys Meyers,James Purefoy|
|23||2005||Walk the Line||James Mangold||Joaquin Phoenix,Ginnifer Goodwin|
|24||2005||Just Like Heaven||Mark Waters||Mark Ruffalo,Donal Logue|
|25||2006||Penelope||Mark Palansky||Christina Ricci,James McAvoy|
|26||2007||Rendition||Gavin Hood||Omar Metwally,Jake Gyllenhaal|
|27||2008||Four Christmases||Seth Gordon||Vince Vaughn,Robert Duvall|
|28||2010||How Do You Know||James L. Brooks||Paul Rudd,Owen Wilson|
|29||2011||Water for Elephants||Francis Lawrence||Robert Pattinson,Christoph Waltz|
|30||2012||This Means War||McG||Chris Pine,Tom Hardy|